This weekend we honor Mother Earth and all of her beauty.
Here are some of the ways we try to be green at Save the Chimps.
- We collect and reuse water bottles to occasionally give the chimpanzees juice and icees, a favorite, of course!
- We shred our paper and give it to the chimpanzees for nesting.
- We use recycled items to create enrichment for the chimpanzees in our care.
- We have created planters out of old tires and barrels.
- We compost our fruit and vegetable scraps.
- Any recyclables that we do not reuse for the chimps are placed in the recycling bin.
Consider ways you can help Mother Earth in your workplace, home, and community. Here are some ideas:
- Plant a tree.
- Encourage recycling at your workplace or school.
- Pick up litter at the beach, your local park, or around town.
- Plant a garden.
- Install a bird or bat feeder.
- Make your backyard a welcome place for local wildlife.
- Eat food from local sources.
- Consider a vegetarian or vegan diet.
- Reduce waste by always using reusable bags, cups, plates and cutlery.
- Use earth-friendly cleaning products.
- Conserve electricity by turning off lights and unplugging electronics while not in use.
- Ride your bike instead of driving to commute to places within your community.
- Donate unused items instead of throwing them away.
- Repair a leaky faucet.
- Purchase items with less packaging or recyclable packaging.
- Volunteer at environmental organizations.
These are just some of the many ways you can do your part in helping the earth and these practicing can be adopted every day – not just on Earth Day!
Happy Earth Day from your friends at Save the Chimps