Thank you for your interest in volunteering at
Save the Chimps! There are many different ways
you can help us serve the chimps.
Volunteers here help in the kitchen with the enormous task of preparing meals for more than 250 rescued chimpanzees. This involves counting out hundreds of apples, oranges, and other fresh produce, or preparing pasta, rice, or salads in “the kitchen that never sleeps”. You’ll hear the chimps grunt and hoot as they’re served the delicious meals you’ve prepared for them. Volunteers also prepare enrichment. We have a number of enrichment devices which usually involves getting your hands sticky with peanut butter, raisins, or bananas.
Save the Chimps’ development department always needs assistance with data entry, preparing promotional materials and mailings, filing, and even shredding the paper. Some of the chimps love shredded paper to nest in!
Outreach Events & Fundraisers
Volunteers are often the chimps’ best advocates. We need your help to table at animal and eco-friendly festivals, give presentations at schools or local civic groups, or help at our fundraisers. Outreach is one of the may ways we share the work we do and reach new audiences. We provide you with the materials, and you provide the voice for the chimps.
Making ‘chimpinatas’ for the chimps is a fun way to get your group involved in helping Save the Chimps. Kids especially love this project and the chimps love these enrichment items! Be as creative as you like in designing them! Learn how to create chimpinatas with this video.
Maintaining the Sanctuary grounds
We’re looking for volunteers who know how to drive a tractor and or use a zero-degree radius lawn mower and want to put those skills to use. We need your help in mowing the 150-acres of grass that seem to grow overnight! Are you comfortable using an edger or trimmer, familiar with a pressure-washer? Then we can use your help in keeping the Sanctuary looking clean and beautiful.
Short-term On-Site Projects
Coca-Cola, Home Depot, and Wal-Mart employees (just to name a few)have volunteered as a group to work on specific projects, like painting chimps buildings, making chimp hammocks, or creating enrichments devices for the chimps. If you want to organize your staff or co-workers to come help on a project, we welcome your support! Please e-mail email@example.com to learn more.
Top 5 Reasons to Volunteer at Save the Chimps:
- You will lead by example – developing, promoting, and assisting in programs that benefit the chimps.
- You’ll save the Sanctuary resources, so more money can be spent directly on the chimps.
- You’ll spend time with others who share your passion for chimpanzees…while making 900 peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for the chimps to eat!
- You’ll put a smile on a chimp’s face when they discover the enrichment you made for them – hidden on their island.
- You will make a difference in the lives of more than 250 rescued chimpanzees – it’s your support that makes our work possible and gives the chimps the lives they deserve.
…All while hearing the wonderful sounds of chimpanzees pant-hooting and roaming their beautiful island home.
Mail or email your completed application to:
Save the Chimps, PO Box 12220, Fort Pierce, FL, 34979 Attn: Monica
For preferred hotel accommodations and discounted rates click here, or please contact your volunteer coordinator.
- There is no physical contact with the chimpanzees.
- Interested volunteers must provide proof of a current (within one 1 year) negative TB test.
- On-site volunteers must be 18 years or older and participate in STC’s orientation prior to volunteering.