Mission and Organizational Values
To provide and build support for permanent sanctuary for the lifelong care of chimpanzees rescued from research laboratories, entertainment, and the pet trade.
- Save the Chimps provides safety, privacy, lifetime care, freedom from exploitation, and the best captive care possible to the chimpanzees who live at the Sanctuary. The cornerstone of Save the Chimps’ philosophy is that chimpanzees experience emotions such as: joy, grief, anger, sorrow, pleasure, boredom, and depression.
- Chimpanzees are persons, not commodities, and Save the Chimps will not buy, sell, trade, loan, or conduct any commercial commerce of chimpanzees.
- Each individual chimpanzee has equal value.
- Save the Chimps does not endorse captive breeding and will, to the best of its ability, prevent reproduction among the resident chimpanzees through vasectomies and female birth control.
- Save the Chimps limits access to the Sanctuary to the Board of Directors, employees, consultants, volunteers, and vendors, and allows visits or tours of other members of the public by invitation only.
- Chimpanzees are accepted only in circumstances where Save the Chimps is assured they will not be replaced by the organization or individual giving over guardianship.
- If it is in the best interest of an individual chimpanzee, Save the Chimps will consider placement of that chimp at another sanctuary able to provide equally high quality care for life.
- Research is permitted only under limited circumstances. Such research must be observational and noninvasive, and must demonstrate that is it of direct benefit to chimpanzees before approval by the leadership of Save the Chimps.
- Save the Chimps respects all life and observes animal friendly practices that demonstrate our commitment to the environment, including efficient use of resources, reuse and/or recycling of products, and preferential use of nontoxic substances.